Asparagus has abundant nutrition packed into every spear, including a range of B group vitamins, vitamin C and potassium. Add to that the emerging research that asparagus has bio-active compounds like antioxidants, that are helping protect the body against future disease and you have a pretty impressive vegetable.
Here are 7 great reasons as to why you should eat asparagus:
1. Asparagus has a great flavour and is very affordable.
2. Asparagus is low in kilojoules, without fat or cholesterol, while providing fibre. That makes it a must for any diet, including a weight loss diet.
3. Asparagus provides the essential B group vitamins thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, B6 and biotin.
4. Asparagus is a great source of folate, with a serve giving us over 20% of our daily needs. Folate is important for expectant mothers and for reducing heart disease risk.
5. It’s not only fruit that gives us vitamin C. A serve of asparagus provides about a quarter of our daily needs of vitamin C.
6. Asparagus has a brilliant range of bio-active compounds, such as antioxidants like rutin and beta-carotene. The research strongly suggests that the bio-active compounds in asparagus are keeping us healthy, well into old age.
7. Asparagus has potassium to help keep our blood pressure healthy.