1. To make caramel, place sugar and 125ml of water in a saucepan over low heat. Stir for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
2. Increase the heat to medium, bring to boil and cook without stirring for 10 minutes or until syrup is a rich, golden colour (175°C on a sugar thermometer).
3. Remove from heat. Stir in cream, butter and salt. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
4. Use an empty squeeze bottle to drizzle over finished dessert.
1. To toast almonds, simply use a dry saucepan over medium heat and stir regularly until golden brown in colour. Remove from saucepan and set aside until ready to decorate.
1. Cut the hot cross buns in half horizontally.
2. Spread softened butter over the cut sides of the buns.
3. Beat together eggs and milk.
4. Dip all the bun halves into the egg mixture and leave to soak for a couple of
seconds each. Carefully lift out with a spatula and place aside until ready to use.
5. Heat a frypan with 2 teaspoons of butter. Once butter has melted, place each bun in the frypan and fry for 1-2 minutes on medium heat. Be careful not to burn.
6. Turn each bun over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Once cooked on both sides, remove from the pan and allow to cool on a plate.
7. Serve with a scoop of coffee ice-cream or flavour of choice.
8. Drizzle with Caramel Sauce to finish and decorate with toasted slivered almonds.
9. Serve immediately.
Recipe & Photography by Yvonne Baldan, Sutherland Shire Cooking School.
Print Your Shopping List
© All Rights Reserved Sutherland Shire Cooking School 2016