- 2 cups plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- a good pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemons (about 2 lemons)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- To serve: berries of your choice
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 125g butter, chopped
- zest of one lemon, finely grated
- 1/2 cup mascapone
- 1/2 cup greek yoghurt
- In a mixing bowl add sugar and lemon zest and rub together until the sugar is slightly wet. Add flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a small bowl add lemon juice, milk and vanilla. This makes a make-shift buttermilk and may curdle but don’t be alarmed! Add eggs to the ‘buttermilk’ and combine all wet and dry ingredients together. Add vanilla, melted butter and poppy seeds and stir until just combined.
- Heat a small frypan on medium heat and add a small knob of butter to grease the pan. Before the butter browns, add a ladle full of batter to the pan.
- Once bubbles rise to the top and no long fill in, it’s time to flip it over. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Keep pancakes warm in the oven on the lowest temperature.
- Place the custard into a piping bag. Create a small hole in the end of the pastry and poke the nozzle into the end and pipe! Hold the eclair and you should be able to feel when it’s full.
- Combine eggs, sugar, butter and lemon zest in a small saucepan on the lowest heat setting.
- In a small bowl, dissolved cornflour with lemon juice and add to the saucepan. Whisk continuously until mixture thickens. Do not allow to boil (you don’t want scrambled eggs throughout) and remove from heat once thickened.
- Add mixture to sterilised jars. To do this, wash jars in warm soapy water and rinse well. Drain well and place on a tray in a cold oven. Turn oven on to 110°C and when oven reaches this temperature, turn the heat off and leave jars for 10 minutes. After this time, remove jars from heat and allow to cool until warm to the touch. Simmer lids in water for two minutes, drain and use. Fill with lemon curd, seal and turn upside down. Keep in fridge and use within two weeks.
- Combine mascapone and greek yoghurt together in a small bowl.
Serve pancakes warm with a generous dollop of mascapone yoghurt and lemon curd. Top with your favourite berries and serve.
Recipe & Photography by Emily Fitzgerald, Adeline & Lumiere Photography