- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 diced onion
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 grated apple
- 1 cup dried lentils
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbs dried sage
- 1 Tbs fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 4 sheets of puff pastry
- Makes 56 small or 7 long sausage rolls.
- Place lentils and quinoa with 3 cups of water in a rice cooker or in a stove-top pot. Cook until tender (15-20 minutes).
- Saute garlic and onion in olive oil for 3 minutes or until onions are softened. Stir through carrot, apple, quinoa, lentils, walnuts and tomato sauce.
- Remove pan from heat. Add sage, rosemary, stock powder and breadcrumbs and stir through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Place one sheet of puff pastry on a chopping board, and slice in half. Place several heaped tablespoons of mixture along one piece of pastry and firmly shape the mixture into an even long sausage.
- Wet one side of the pastry, then carefully roll over the pastry and slightly press down. Diagonally make scores across the top with a sharp knife, brush or spray with oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place sausage rolls on lined trays and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Recipe and photography by Jade WalkerPrint Your Shopping List